Microwave Eggs: Great for Breakfast
It’s funny how “the most important meal of the day” comes at a time when we are probably least likely to function effectively – morning! And yet, if you’re like most Suddenly Solos, there is nothing quite like a tasty hot plate of eggs with some coffee and your morning newspaper to really set the mood for a great day.
A favorite of ours, poached eggs, fits the rule of the best foods being the hardest to prepare. But the microwave, a single guy’s best friend, changes that calculus. It has given us guys the luxury of getting just what we crave in the A.M. (no, not that… breakfast!) with incredibly little effort and almost no prep or cleanup.
To prepare almost goof-proof poached eggs in no time, follow this recipe:
1 large egg
1/8 teaspoon white vinegar
1/3 cup water
salt and pepper
- Add the water and white vinegar to a 6-ounce custard cup.
- Break egg into cup, pierce egg yolk with toothpick (important!), and cover dish loosely with plastic wrap.
- Place in microwave and cook for 1 minute or until desired doneness. (You may need to experiment with cooking times based on the wattage of your microwave and taste preference.)
- Immediately remove egg from hot water with a slotted spoon (so it will drain and won’t break the egg) as it will continue to cook.
- Serve with salt and pepper to taste.
You should have already made some toast to receive your egg, gotten the paper, and had the coffee ready to enjoy your day-starter!