Butternut Squash – Perfect For The Season
You may be called upon to “bring something” at a holiday get-together or even to prepare something for yourself (or a date). Remembering that we Suddenly Solos may not aspire to Top Chef stature but would like to show some kitchen competency, here is an easy to prepare seasonal recipe that will give you stature as a well-rounded man with talents even you may not have known you have!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 butternut squash (about 1 3/4 pounds), peeled, seeded, and cut into 3/4-inch cubes*
- 1/2 cup low-sodium canned chicken broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon dark-brown sugar (you can add more to taste)
Heat butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat until golden brown. Add squash; saute, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and tender when pierced with a fork, about 16 minutes.
Add chicken broth, the water, and brown sugar; cook until liquid has evaporated and squash is nicely caramelized, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat, and season with salt and pepper. Serve.
* The easiest way to peel butternut squash is with a vegetable peeler; the harp-shaped variety works particularly well.